Thursday, August 22, 2013

Book Review: Bachelor Boys by Kate Saunders


Yes. I love the plot, Cassie, Annabel, Fritz and Ben! <3

All the warmth and love in Cassie’s childhood came from the Darling family. Escaping from her own remote, chilly parents, Cassie reveled in the exuberant chaos she found at the home of the Darlings--two boys, a cheerful father, and a glorious mother, Phoebe, who always welcomed the lonely little girl next door.
Cassie is grown up now, living a suitable life with a suitable boyfriend, until her beloved Phoebe falls ill and comes to Cassie with one last request: Will Cassie help her sons, a pair of incorrigible bachelors, find wives to look after them?  It’s true they are gorgeously handsome, but they are also unemployed and still living in their mother’s basement.  Cassie can scarcely say ‘No’ to Phoebe--but how will she ever find decent girlfriends, let alone wives, for these wildly sexy, and wildly impractical, bachelor boys?

This beguiled my senses. This was fresh, out of the norm, romantic comedy I've ever read. Actually, I've been reading fantasies and melodramatic love stories recently and this was a good book to break from it. ;)

The story was like Pride and Prejudice with a twist. Cassie also told Phoebe on one of those chapters that she's anxious like a Victorian era mother who wants her ladies [but unfortunately, bachelors] to marry. Hahaha. The plot was exciting to read. There was a surprise at the climax. I felt when it reached the climax, the ending was hurried. Or maybe I was expecting the John Green version of grieving the dead (In 'The Fault in our Stars'). Nonetheless, it was fun to read with many laughs in between. :) Happy ending guaranteed. :D

Cassie/Cassandra was a strong character in this book. I can feel her love, her sadness (I even cried. Haha.) and of course her thoughtfulness to the two boys.[Maybe because it was her POV so I thought she was strong]. Fritz, meanwhile, was the distant-responsible character, he may be the sex maniac of the story, but deep inside he had issues to deal, and even personality to unmask. Ben was the sensitive kind of guy, he had inferior thoughts to his brother [when they both have the same thoughts]. Annabel's character is sweet and thoughtful, like the two boys' mother, Phoebe. Although Annabel and Fritz were a distinct character there were some things unexplained. I guess its the readers turn to understand how did they cope up with their situation. :>

I recommend this book for people looking for love or who lost one, for people who cherish their mothers, and for people who are into careers. This is a good book for almost anyone!..except kids and tweens. Hehehe.

----

This is actually my first review for a book! Yey! *clap* Another firsts for me. Haha.  :') I have been a bookworm since high school. Since then, my HS friends would give me books for my birthday rather than clothes/shoes. I was really the nerdy girl back then with all the love for Harry Potter series. My HS friends are windows to my other side. When we have time, me, Kate and Shara would go over Booksale, NBS or even Powerbooks to see novels, buy one or just smell the fresh paperback books. *pun intended* :D It was always our bonding experience. And we do it once in a blue moon since we're busy with our lives and jobs. :))) Still, my love for books never ceased until today. :)

I finally read this book that was a gift from Shara. I got time from the cold weather brought by the monsoon and the typhoon. I always pray for the safety of the Philippines though. Stay safe and warm.


bisous x kaze.

P.S. I'll keep improving on my book reviews! ;) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd definitely appreciate some love from you!
Share also your blog so I can visit and follow you, thanks!
xx, Kaze